Do I need a business license? How do I obtain one?

All businesses doing work within city limits, whether or not they have a physical address in the city, are required to have a business license, including out-of-city contractors and gardeners. Home-based businesses in Diamond Bar are also required to have a business license. Refer to the Business License page to download a business license packet, or contact the Planning Division for more information. 

Before applying for a business license or signing a lease, please verify that a location of interest is zoned appropriately for your proposed business. For instructions on how to find a property’s zoning designation, refer to Question 2 or contact the Planning Division. Certain businesses will require other approvals such as a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) and/or background checks before a business license can be granted.

You may submit your business license application, along with payment, via mail, online, or in person by making an appointment with the Planning Division.

Once an application is received, a staff member will contact you if additional information is required; otherwise, the business license certificate and receipt will be sent to the email address provided on the application. Please allow a few days for processing.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a business license? How do I obtain one?
2. What is the zoning designation of my property?
3. How do I find out what types of uses are allowed on a property?
4. What is a Conditional Use Permit (CUP)?
5. I would like to obtain a sign for my business/building. What are the requirements and what is the process to get approval?
6. I would like to put up a temporary sign at my business location. What are the requirements and process to get approval?