I want to build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on my property. What are the requirements and process?

All residentially-zoned properties are eligible to construct one ADU and one Junior ADU (JADU), regardless of lot size. For studios and one-bedroom ADUs, 850 square feet is allowed and up to 1,000 square feet for 2 or more bedrooms. A JADU is created within the walls of a single-family residence and may share central systems and restrooms with the primary residence, and must contain a basic kitchen. JADUs are allowed up to 500 square feet. Refer to the Development Code Section 22.42.120 for additional ADU requirements - https://library.municode.com/ca/diamond_bar/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CICO_TIT22DECO_ARTIIISIPLGEDEST_CH22.42STSPLAUS_S22.42.110REACUSST.

 Once you have plans ready, you may submit through the Planning inquiry form. No additional forms are required at this stage. Please allow a few days for the Planning and Building and Safety Divisions to review for completeness. Once authorization is received, a planner will instruct you on the next steps for formal building plan check submittal to the Building and Safety Division. There is a 15-working day turnaround once accepted by the Building and Safety Division. Every subsequent submittal is 10 working days. When all comments/corrections have been addressed, your permit will be issued for the ADU.

Show All Answers

1. What are business license requirements?
2. Garage and yard sales...what are the rules?
3. When and why do I need a building permit?
4. What are the rules for storage on my property?
5. How long may holiday lights be displayed?
6. Is there a regulation against storing inoperative motor vehicles?
7. I want to build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) on my property. What are the requirements and process?
8. Are short-term rentals allowed?
9. What is the Diamond Bar Zoning Map, and how can I see a copy?
10. Are there any programs available to help first-time homebuyers purchase a home?