Earth Day and Arbor Day
It's all things environmental at the annual Earth Day and Arbor Day Celebration
Saturday, April 21 | 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
South Coast Air Quality Management District
21865 Copley Drive, Diamond Bar
There will be plenty to see and do at this outdoor event, including:
Free Smart Gardening and Composting Workshop - 9:30 to 11 a.m. - Pre-registration is required
Learn how to spruce up your lawn or garden with plants and flowers that are water-thrifty but big on curb appeal and how to turn kitchen waste into nutrient-rich compost at this workshop.
Workshop attendees have a chance to purchase a compost bin at a reduced price of $40 (conventional bin) or $65 (worm bin with half-pound of worms). Only cash or check payment is accepted.
Paper Shredding - Bring up to five grocery bags or two banker boxes of household financial documents, personal medical records and other sensitive documents for on-site destruction and proper disposal. Make sure bags or boxes contain only documents and no batteries, binders, plastics or metals; folded, enveloped, stapled or paper-clipped papers are OK.
E-Waste and Textile Recycling - Have obsolete or broken electronics or clothing, shoes or linen that are too worn or damaged to donate? Bring them to the event to have them recycled.
Garden Mulch - Come ready with gloves, shovel, and containers to collect and take home up to 80 gallons of mulch for your home garden.
Children's Fun Area - Free earth-themed arts and crafts, and the chance to learn about, observe an touch more than 10 species of ocean animals inside the Long Beach Aquarium on Wheels will be part of the kid-friendly offerings at this event.
Green Exhibits - Attendees will have the opportunity to check out displays of electric and plug-in hybrid-electronic vehicles, and visit various information booths to pick up giveaways and information about special programs to save money while conserving energy, water and preventing pollution.
Arbor Day Poster Contest - Deadline: Friday, April 13 before 4:30 p.m.
Contest Entry Form
All fifth graders who live or go to school in Diamond Bar are invited to participate in the annual art contest. Local artists may use any art medium of their choice to create a poster depicting the theme "Trees are Terrific: For our Health and Happiness."
Artwork must be hand-drawn on letter-size paper (8 1/2 x 11 inch), and may be in color or black and white, and created using crayons, colored pencils, markers, watercolors or any other medium. Glue, stickers, and glitter are not allowed.
The top three entries will be selected and displayed at the event and artists will receive a Target gift card ($50 for first place, $25 for second place, and $15 for third place).
Posters may be dropped off at, or mailed to, Diamond Bar City Hall located at 21810 Copley Drive. A completed entry form must accompany entry.
- All entries must be original artwork created by a student who is currently in the fifth grade. A student may enter the contest only once.
- Entries must be done on paper with sufficient clarity to allow for duplication, displaying, and framing.
- The first-place winner's artwork will be framed.
- The student's first and last name must be written or signed in the lower right-hand corner on the front of the poster.
- Entries must be cone in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored paper, and/or tempera paint.
- Collages are not acceptable (Do not glue anything on your poster.)
- Computer or photo generated art and/or printing is not acceptable.
- Entries should not display the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
- The poster must be related to the contest theme in some way. The theme: "Trees are Terrific and Energy Wise" must be on the poster. All words must be spelled correctly.
- Entries should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed or folded.
Questions - Contact the City's Environmental Services Division at 909-839-7015 or [email protected]