Storm Preparation Information
Southern California Edison (SCE) Preparation Steps
With the National Weather Service predicting a series of winter storms bringing heavy rain, high wind conditions, flooding in the burn areas and snow, SCE is taking the following precautionary steps to prepare for possible customer service interruptions:
- SCE and contract crews are mobilizing as outages occur and will work around-the-clock to restore power in areas that might be affected.
- SCE storm response personnel are on standby to support service restoration, ensuring that the utility has available inventories of material and equipment for repair work.
- Additional SCE customer call center representatives will be activated to help answer customer calls in the event of increased outages.
- Customers can report outages by calling 800-611-1911.
With high winds, heavy rain and snow forecast in the coming days, SCE wants to remind its customers to be prepared in case of weather-related outages and suggests:
- If you know someone who is dependent on electrically operated medical equipment, make back-up power arrangements in case a power outage affects that equipment.
- Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach those intersections as four-way stops.
- If you see a power line on the ground, stay away. Do not touch it or try to remove it. Call SCE or local law enforcement.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they are fresh.
- Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage; do not use candles because they pose a significant fire hazard.
- Do not use equipment designed for outdoor cooking indoors. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.
- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into the generator, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
For more information, visit the SCE website.