Building Permits

Building permits are required to erect, modify, remove, or repair all structures, commercially and residential, in Diamond Bar. This includes everything from new building construction to fences, fireplaces, and signs.

Permit Types

The most common permits required for new construction are:

  • Electrical permits for new electrical service equipment installation, existing service relocations, electrical service increases, and fixed appliance and equipment connections.
  • Mechanical permits for the addition, replacement, repair, or alteration of mechanical systems in structures. This includes gas lines, propane tanks, installation of sprinkler systems, and associated piping for flammable liquids.
  • Plumbing permits for all plumbing work including water service, drains, water mains, sewage disposal systems, and related fixtures and appliances.


Building permits vary in cost and scope according to the type of construction proposed. Fees may vary due to the type and number of stories of the proposed construction.

  • Electrical permits are based upon the service amperage, number of circuits, and type of installations.
  • Mechanical permits are based upon valuation of work for mechanical systems or equipment.
  • Plumbing permits are based upon the number and types of fixtures, sewers, drains, and water service piping.
  • Building Construction Fee Schedule

Construction & Demolition Waste Disposal

  • All construction, remodeling, or demolition projects of 1,000 square feet or more are required to recycle, reuse or divert at least 75% of the generated construction or demolition waste.
  • All heavy debris-producing activities and projects require a City issued special limited-collection permit and the rental of a roll-off dumpster.

Dumpsters or Storage Containers

For home improvement projects that require the removal of large quantities of construction debris, contact Waste Management for bin rental services. An encroachment permit must also be obtained from the City’s Public Works Department.

For additional recycling information, visit the Cal Green website.

Contractor Licensing

Check contractor licensing on the Contractors State License Board website