Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)

2015-16 Project Public Hearing December 16 @7pm

PUBLIC HEARING REGARDING PROPOSED 2015-2016 COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM PROJECTS FOR THE CITY OF DIAMOND BAR

Hearing takes place at the December 16, 2014 regular meeting of the City Council.

The City of Diamond Bar expects to receive approximately $205,934 in federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds as a participant in the 2015-2016 Los Angeles Urban County CDBG Program.

The City Council will conduct a public hearing on December 16, 2014, prior to their taking action to adopt a Final Statement of Community Development Objectives and Projected Use of Funds for the 2015-2016 CDBG program year. City Staff will present details for the new proposed projects and all interested persons will be invited to speak.

STATEMENT OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT OBJECTIVES AND PROJECTED USE OF FUNDS

GOALS: To carry out the primary objectives of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended, to develop a viable urban community, principally for persons of low and moderate income.

OBJECTIVES: To provide and facilitate services and programs for Diamond Bar residents.

All programs will be implemented to provide primary benefit to low and moderate income residents of the community. All interested persons are invited to attend the City Council Public Hearing at 7:00 p.m., on Tuesday, December 16, 2014.

Additional details concerning any of the above information may be obtained by calling, Greg Gubman, Community Development Director, at 909.839.7030.

 

APPLICATION FOR 2015-16 PROGRAM YEAR

Applications are currently being accepted for the 2015-2016 Community Development Block Grant program year. If your organization has a program or project that qualifies for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding, an application must be completed and returned to the City by Friday, November 7, 2014, at 4:00 p.m.

Federal regulations limit the different allowable activities that the City may undertake with CDBG funding. The City is expected to receive approximately $205,934 in funding. Fifteen percent (15%) or $30,890 can be allocated towards community public service programs/or projects. The remainder of funding or eighty-five percent (85%) or $175,044 may be allocated towards public improvements, economic development and rehabilitation projects.

To be eligible for CDBG funding, your program or project must meet the following three requirements:

  • CDBG Eligible Activity – acquisition of real property for an eligible use; acquisition, construction and rehabilitation of public facilities; demolition and clearance of deteriorated buildings; community services for low and moderate income households; removal of barriers that restrict the mobility of elderly or handicapped persons; special economic development activities.
  • CDBG National Objectives – (1) Project must principally serve low and moderate income persons; (2) Project must eliminate slum and blight, or (3) Project must address a recent and urgent health and safety need.
  • The Project must address the Community Development objectives the City proposes to pursue.

Groups/organizations requesting funding consideration under the City’s CDBG program must submit a completed application form for each proposed project. This application requires detailed and specific information about the proposal. The City will use this information to determine if the proposal is eligible for CDBG funding.

The City may conduct interviews with your organization to discuss your proposed project(s) and funding requests. The City of Diamond Bar will review all applications for funding at a City Council Public Hearing tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, December 16, 2014.

To obtain an application, please contact Stella Marquez, Administrative Coordinator, at 909.839.7030 or Diana Cho, CDBG Consultant, at 909.839.7030. All applications must be completed and returned to the City of Diamond Bar, 21810 Copley Drive, Diamond Bar, CA 91765 by Friday, November 7, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.