Frequently Asked Questions

What are business license requirements?
What is the Home Improvement Program?
How do I report a possible code violation?
Where is the Chamber of Commerce located?
Garage and yard sales...what are the rules?
Who is responsible for picking up stray shopping carts?
When and why do I need a building permit?
What are the rules for storage on my property?
How long may holiday lights be displayed?
Do I have to pay business taxes?
Are chickens allowed to be kept on residental property?
Is there a regulation against storing inoperative motor vehicles?
Where do I pay for my parking citation?

Q: What are business license requirements?
A: All individuals and businesses doing work within city limits, whether or not they have a physical structure in the city, are required to have a business license. This includes contractors, internet and home-based businesses. Applications and renewals are processed at City Hall. Basic business license fee is $11 per year. Licenses requiring a one-time zoning clearance are $52.72, and an additional fee of $300 per individual requiring a background check as described below. All fees are due when application is submitted and are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Contact Information
Planning Division

Q: What is the Home Improvement Program?

The City of Diamond Bar offers the Home Improvement Program to qualified low-and moderate-income homeowners to rehabilitate their residences.Qualified homeowners may utilize the funds to repair hazardous structural conditions, make modifications necessary to provide handicapped accessibility, make exterior repairs to improve the appearance of the home, and correct Municipal Code violations. To receive more information, or to apply for, the Home Improvement Program, you may submit an online Request for Service, or contact the Community and Development Department.

The City also works in conjunction with Los Angeles County to provide residents three home assistance programs: the Home Ownership Program; the Mortgage Credit Certificate Program; and the Single-Family Rehabilitation Program. All applicants must reside in Diamond Bar and be U.S. citizens or registered aliens to participate. Some programs have additional requirements.

For information about the Home Ownership Program, contact the "HOP" Line at (323) 890-7281.

For information regarding the Mortgage Credit Certificate Program, contact the County of Los Angeles at (323) 890-7033.

To inquire about the Single-Family Rehabilitation program, contact the County of Los Angeles at (323) 890-7242.

Funds for these programs are available annually, and are distributed on a first-come,basis.

If you would like to submit a request for service on this topic click here.


Q: How do I report a possible code violation?

The City of Diamond Bar's Neighborhood Improvement and Building and Safety Division inspects all structures suspected of code violations to insure compliance, and it directs the code enforcement staff to issue notices of violation to owners. Structures may be in violation due to a number of reasons including building without permits, poor structural integrity, unsafe property site conditions, and the open storage of junk. If a violation is detected, a letter will be sent to the property owner requesting compliance so that fines and/or criminal punishment can be avoided.

If you wish to report a possible code violation, you may send an email to

Q: Where is the Chamber of Commerce located?
A: The Regional Chamber of Commerce of San Gabriel Valley is an independent, non-profit organization created to support the business interests of the community, and to provide business-related services and information to the residents and visitors of eastern San Gabriel Valley. Offices are open between 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday and are located at 19720 E. Walnut Drive South, Walnut, CA 91789.

For more information about services and programs that the Chamber of Commerce offers, please call 909.869.0701.
Q: Garage and yard sales...what are the rules?
A: Permits for garage or yard sales are not required, but residents are asked to hold no more than two per year. Advertising signs may not be posted in the public right-of-way (for example on street signs, street trees, traffic signals, streetlight poles, or inside road medians). Residents may advertise through local publications or by asking neighbors to post signs on their private property. Signs shall not exceed three square feet in area and may only be displayed during the time of the sale. The signs shall be promptly removed at the end of the sale.
Q: Who is responsible for picking up stray shopping carts?
A: Shopping carts are private property and provided to shoppers as a customer service. Removing them from their respective store parking lot is illegal.Also, carts left on sidewalks or streets create visual blight and pose hazards to motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. This makes them a violation of 12.04.140 of the City's Municipal Code that prohibits encroachment within public streets and sidewalks.Report stray shopping carts directly to the shopping centers or stores they belong to.
Q: When and why do I need a building permit?
A: If you are planning renovations or new construction in or around your property, chances are you will need to obtain a building permit.  Taking out a permit before commencing your construction project not only keeps you in compliance with City law, but also protects you and your investment - be it a home or a business.

For more information, contact the Building and Safety Division

Q: What are the rules for storage on my property?
A: The Neighborhood Improvement Officers enforce all City Municipal Codes applicable in the community, including the provision against the open storage of junk. This code states that front and side yards shall be kept and maintained free and clear of all construction and automotive materials or parts, trash, refuse, debris, inoperative motor vehicles, camper shells, discarded or broken materials, appliances, furniture, junk, equipment or similar materials. 

If a property is found not in compliance with the code, a notice of violation is sent to the owner allowing a certain number of days to correct the violation. If a violation is not corrected within the time allowed, the owner may be fined. Any debris that is found, which is associated with the code violation, may be removed by a contractor at the property owner's expense. Failure to pay the fine will result in a lien being placed against the property.

Contact Information

Submit a Request

Q: How long may holiday lights be displayed?
A: The City's Municipal Code states that exterior holiday lights and decorations must be removed within 30 days of installation, and no later than mid January.

Besides contributing to blight, keeping holiday lights installed for an extended period of time creates the potential for a fire hazard because of their temporary-use nature.

Homeowners found not to be in compliance will be issued a courtesy notice to correct violation within 10 days. Failing to remove the lights within the allotted time frame can result in a $100 fine.

Q: Do I have to pay business taxes?
A: The State of California has many filing requirements that business owners should be know about. Contact the California State Board of Equalization for details at 800.400.7115.

Business owners have federal tax obligations to comply with, as well. Additionally, all businesses declared as either a partnership or a corporation are required to apply for a Federal Employee Identification Number, even if the business has no employees. The Internal Revenue Service will provide you with free information to help you start a new business when you register for this number. Contact the U.S. Internal Revenue Service for details at 800.829.4477 for recorded information, or at 800. 829.1040 for assistance.

Q: Are chickens allowed to be kept on residental property?
A: No, the keeping of fowl, other than house birds, as pets or for egg production is not permitted within city limits per Section 22.42.030 of the City's Municipal Code.

This particular section in the City's Municipal Code defines the type of animals that can be kept in residential properties, and the ones that require permits. See Municipal Code for more details.

Q: Is there a regulation against storing inoperative motor vehicles?
A: Yes. All vehicles that are being repaired, dismantled, or incapable of operating are considered "inoperable" and must be stored out of public view, such as in the garage, when possible.  It is considered a violation of the City Code if the vehicle or its parts become a hazard to the public health and safety.
Q: Where do I pay for my parking citation?
A: City Hall does not handle any matters relating to parking citations.  Payments as well as citation appeals are processed by the City's parking administration office at P.O. Box 25120 Santa Ana, CA 92799-5120.  Parking citations can be paid only by mailing a check in the envelope provided with the citation.