Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Diamond Bar Library located?
Who do I call to report Red Ants?
How can I reserve a picnic shelter?
Does my dog have to be on a leash?
Is there an ordinance against leaving pet waste uncollected?
How are bee nests/swarms handled?

Q: Where is the Diamond Bar Library located?

The Diamond Bar Public Library, which is operated by Los Angeles County, is located on the first floor of the City Hall building, 21800 Copley Drive.

The library is open from noon to 9pm, Monday through Thursday, and from 10am to 5pm on Friday and Saturday.

For more information about library services, please call 909.861.4978 or visit the library's website at

Q: Who do I call to report Red Ants?
Be wary of RIFA mounds - Most people would agree that ants are pesky insects that interfere with outdoor activities, like picnicking, gardening, or simply spending time with family and friends.

But it’s a particular type of ant – the Red Imported Fire Ants (RIFA) – that may be more of a concern than a nuisance.

RIFA are 1/8” to ¼” in length and have a red colored heads and thoraces and black abdomens. They are very aggressive by nature and will repeatedly sting anything that disturbs them or their colony. Though not usually life threatening, RIFA stings are known to cause a burning sensation and become easily infected. They may cause complications for individuals who are hypersensitive to the venom.

To help reduce the chance of being stung, wear closed-toed shoes and gloves when gardening; teach children in your household about fire ants and their potential hazards.

Fire ant mounds can reach 18 inches in height and are similar to gopher mounds, except soil deposited is of finer texture.

Suspicious mounds on private property should be reported to local County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office by calling 626.575.4251; while those located in local parks should be reported to the City’s Community Services Department at 909.839.7060. Additional RIFA information can be obtained by visiting

Q: How can I reserve a picnic shelter?

Park Picnic Area Reservations
All parks have picnic areas and shelters for public use for picnics, birthday parties, reunions, or other types of get-togethers. Picnic areas and shelters have a compliment of tables and barbecue grills and can accommodate parties from 25 to 150 people.

Picnic areas and shelters are reserved on a first come, first-served basis. Anyone who would like to reserve a picnic facility must submit an "Application for Use of City Picnic Areas" along with an application fee of $25 for a Diamond Bar resident and $50 for a non-resident. For groups of 30-100 people a $50 refundable security deposit is required. For groups of 101 or more, a $200 refundable security deposit is necessary.You may rent a "bouncer" for a park with a $50 refundable security deposit Any group of 50 or more must compy with liability insurance requirements.

 To reserve a picnic facility, or for more information, call 909.839.7070.

Q: Does my dog have to be on a leash?
A: The Diamond Bar City Code #6.20.010 requires that all dogs be under the full control of their owners or custodians and restrained by a leash, not to exceed six feet in length. If unleashed, dogs must be confined to their owner's property at all times. Please note that dogs may not be tied up on public property.

Dogs roaming free are in violation of the Diamond Bar City Code and are subject to impoundment by the Inland Valley Humane Society. Owners of dogs who have been impounded may receive a summons and/or a fine. To report a dog that is running loose, call the Inland Valley Humane Society at 909.623.9777
Q: Is there an ordinance against leaving pet waste uncollected?
A: Failing to pick up and properly dispose of pet waste in Diamond Bar public areas is unsightly, unsanitary, and a violation of the City's Municipal Code - Section 6.00.090.

Part of being a responsible pet owner means ensuring your animal's activities do not interfere with your community or the environment. When taking your pet for a walk in a public area such as a park or neighborhood street , make sure you are prepared to pick up any litter left by your pet.

Responsible pet ownership on your part will keep your city looking clean and prevent the spreading of diseases caused by bacteria and parasites found in pet waste.
Q: How are bee nests/swarms handled?
A: Southern California is home to two different types of honeybees - the European Honey Bee and Africanized Honey Bee. Both have the same appearance and can sting only once with the same type of venom. However, Africanized Honey Bees are far more aggressive and guard a larger area around their hives. They are also more easily agitated and respond with larger swarms. Citizens can create a safe environment in and around their homes by eliminating potential nest sites such as empty containers, holes in fences, or unused sheds. Be sure to check around structures and close off gaps which are more than 1/8 inch. Cover rain spouts and vents with 1/8 inch hardware cloth. Watch for regular activity of bees during spring, summer, and fall.If you find a nest or swarm in or on your private property, do not try to remove it yourself. Los Angeles County residents can call the AHB Service 800 Hotline at 800.925.3800 to find out what non-structural bee services are available within their zip code.If you need to report a beehive located on public property that needs to be removed, please contact the Community Services Department at 909.839.7060.If you have an emergency due to a severe bee-stinging incident, dial 911 immediately.